- Listen – Evaluate what the clients are saying and want. They have a bigger ego and are paying you.
- The answer is the brief – The brief is like a question and you have to answer it. Find the core of that brief!
- Ask yourself the basic questions – Why, What, When, Who? All important questions we need the answer to. The audience isn’t necessarily you.
- Teamwork works – A lot of the work is done in teams. You need to be able to present your ideas but also take the feedback from others. Critical criticism.
- Be prepared to get it wrong – Need to know its going to happen. Be prepared for it to go wrong. It’s OK.
- Work hard – This job can result in long hours. It’s a competitive industry. You need to put in the effort.
- Have fun – You’ve got this great job. So have fun with it!
- Keep learning – Get to know how to use various skills. Always learn. Things are forever improving and expanding, keep with it.
- Be nice – If it’s a nice experience to work with you there more chance they they will come back and work with you again.
- Thou shalt not covert thy neighbours designs to much – Don’t spend to much time admiring others work and wish you had created it. Be happy with what you have achieved and know others will admire yours.
- Keep your fingers crossed – There’s so much luck involved. Not everything you do will work. You wont win every pitch, A lot of random factors, Keep going!
Overall this talk was extremely useful and influential and I will try to keep these tips in mind for the future.